Sleep apnea is a life-threatening respiratory disorder that affects nearly 40 percent of the male population and nearly 25 percent of the female population between the ages of 40 and 60. Sleep apnea is defined as a cessation of all nasal and oral breathing for periods of ten seconds or longer.
Symptoms of sleep apnea
Some of the symptoms of sleep apnea include:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Memory loss/limited attention
- Heart palpitations
- Anxiety with breathlessness
Despite a growing awareness of the condition, sleep apnea very often goes undetected, and this can pose a serious medical risk by raising your blood pressure, increasing the chance of a heart attack, and doubling your risk of having a stroke.
Dental appliance therapy
We offer our patients a comprehensive evaluation to diagnose sleep apnea, implementing the latest testing equipment available. Dr. Jessica Gorelik works closely with a team of sleep specialists, respiratory therapists, and psychologists to offer each patient a customized sleep therapy appliance designed to help the patient overcome their sleep disorder.
Comprehensive monitoring equipment is then used to track the effectiveness of the appliance to ensure the treatment is working effectively.
Most medical insurance policies will pay for oral appliances to treat obstructive sleep apnea. Please review the questionnaire below.
- Have you ever been told that you snore?
- Do you have difficulty falling or staying asleep?
- When you awaken in the morning, do you feel unrested despite a full night in bed?
- Do you ever awaken from sleep with a sensation of choking or gasping?
- Are you ever sleepy during the day while engaging in sedentary activities (driving, reading, or sitting in a meeting, a lecture, the theater or watching TV)?
If you responded yes to three or more of the above questions, you may have a sleep disorder.
For more information about sleep medicine and how we can treat snoring and sleep apnea in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, we encourage you to contact our dentist and team at 201 Dental Care today at 201-944-1969.